Website


Wednesday 11 November 2009

Artist Rooms


Took a wander to the Artist Rooms exhibition the other day at the Edinburgh Gallery of Modern Art. It was the last day of the exhibition and I'm so glad I did manage to see it.

I'd never seen a Damien Hirst in real life before so I still hadn't made my mind up about him. And I was surprised that I really loved the work. After leaving the exhibition, it was Hirst's rooms that stuck in my head. The sheep in formaldehyde was actually so beautiful. I wasn't expecting that.

Really enjoyed the Ellen Gallagher collages and paintings as well.
And I've loved Andy Warhol's stitched photographs for years so it was good to see them in real life.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Hazel,

    Your comment about Hirst's sheep in formaldehyde reminds me of that confronting scene in Amersican beauty,where the son of the abusive (and latent, repressed homosexual) father takes video of somewhat banal things, small dead animals, and the like, and sees beauty in them. Ultimately, he sees the dead body of the neighbour and alse sees this as beautiful..Classic beauty may be a social construction?

    ReplyDelete