Website


Thursday 14 January 2010

Synecdoche New York


A film about a play, within a play, within a play. Life, within life, within life. I first saw this film last year at the Cameo, and was totally drawn in by it. It's such a massive film that when watching it, you began to feel like you have been watching for days, and that it will go on for days, and that you don't mind a bit.

I won't say anything about the plot etc. here, you can find that anywhere. All I'm saying is that it is important and that you should go watch it. Now. And then go watch it again. I finally got this on DVD the other day and saw it for a second time. For some bizarre reason, the front cover of the box advertises it as the "Smash Hit Comedy of the Year", when it was neither. A very few bits are verging on funny, but then the rest of it is so crushingly hopeless, that it drowns out the funny almost completely. I loved it though.

Coincidentally, was watching the special features the other day, and they compared it to two films; The Royal Tenenbaums and Mulholland Drive, both of which I had watched within the previous 3 days, along with Synecdoche New York.

1 comment:

  1. (Hello! It's Caroline!) Such a good film, I saw it the first time on my boyfriend's laptop but it was so much better seeing on a large screen at a cinema. I notice so much more each time I watch it. And The Royal Tenenbaums is one of my favourite ever films.

    ReplyDelete